St Catherine's HospiceCare, compassion and understanding
For over 25 years we have been providing high quality hospice care, free of charge, to people living in Crawley, Horsham, Mid Sussex and East Surrey. Hospice care is based on the belief that each person is more than their illness, and that each of us has unique physical, emotional, social and spiritual needs. St Catherine’s responds to the needs of each individual, helping people achieve the best possible quality of life.
This highly personal, holistic approach to care takes time, skill and experience from a multi-professional team. We care for people in the hospice, in their homes and in nursing homes. We also provide training, advice and support to other health professionals.
* Through expert assessment and regular monitoring we aim to relieve pain, symptoms and side-effects of illness.
* We enable people to receive care, treatments and therapies directly, wherever they live, through liaison with other healthcare professionals and by providing 24 hour telephone support.
* We help people retain their independence, mobility and sense of control by providing practical help, equipment and advice.
* We help restore self confidence and well-being by giving patients the opportunity to meet socially, gain support from others in similar circumstances, and benefit from relaxation therapies.
* We give patients and their loved ones opportunities to discuss their thoughts and feelings which can relieve fears and anxieties.
* We help people plan for the future so that they can enjoy life as fully as possible.
* Where possible we support patients’ carers by providing respite care, giving people a much needed break from their caring role.
* We provide open and honest explanation to questions, enabling people to make informed choices and have greater control throughout the dying process.
* We support people as their condition deteriorates, helping families, carers and friends to prepare for bereavement.
* We provide ongoing support to families and carers in bereavement, from simple practical advice through to counselling services.
We critically rely on voluntary donations and legacies and our care is only made possible thanks to the generosity of supporters and volunteers. We rely almost entirely on the support of local people, companies and trusts, with just 30 per cent of our running costs provided by the NHS.
Visit St Catherine's Hospice: